Speculations just recently came out that Oregon football may have broken NCAA recruiting laws. Should us Oregon fans be worried about these allegations? I’m not so sure. I recently came across a list of five reasons Oregon fans should rest easy.
1. “Most, if not all, NCAA teams pay recruiting services-which is legal in the first place.” So why is Oregon’s actions put in the spotlight? Oregon provided media with a copy of the actual check, made out for $25,000 to Complete Scouting Service of Houston. Oregon stands firm that they have run through their compliance office.
2. “Oregon can spend however much they want on recruiting services.” Yes $25,000 was a huge leap from the previous &8,250 per-year tab from the same service. However, there are many reasons that can explain this. Oregon had a recruiting station in east Texas. Transporting recruits back and forth alone is going to increase the tab.
3. “Oregon is obligated to invest in the best recruiters if it plans to continue to dominate college football.” Oregon is not as nationally recognized as say Alabama, however it is gaining more recognition. Oregon will need to keep gaining more top recruits if they plan to become a national powerhouse such as Alabama and other top teams.
4. “RB Coach Gary Campbell runs a tighter ship than the Japanese Navy.” Campbell has been a football coach for Oregon for over 27 years which shows alone his dedication and ethics. The RB players are the ones under the spotlight, so we should rest a little easier knowing that Campbell has been recruiting for over 20 years and knows what he is doing.
5. “Who do you trust more, Chip or Cam Newton?” Yes this is a little bit of a joke, but honestly Oregon has been an honest team since Chip has started coaching so we should keep our trust in him and our team.